Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Enjoy the Silence

You know those moments, when you first wake up, and it’s quiet and calm all around you?

If you answered yes, we can’t be friends.

This never happens in my house. If I’m not woken up by the blaring sound of my husband’s alarm, it’s by a cat, dog or child demanding my immediate attention. Don’t they know I was up late catching up on Once Upon a Time?

Every day starts like that; crazy and instantly loud.

Then, one day, I wake up and it’s quiet. Hub’s alarm didn’t wake me up, the pups are asleep on their beds, the cats aren’t in sight and all 3 kids are still curled up in their beds sleeping. It’s a thing of beauty. I don’t even know how to handle it because it’s so rare, so I do the first thing that comes to mind: grab a handful of chocolate chips from the pantry, my phone (which contains the latest story I’m reading) and my pillow and get to enjoying the silence!

The problem is, I get lost in reading, the kids over sleep and the next thing I know, we’re freaking late. And, I’m not talking 5 minutes here; I’m talking “still need to make lunches, get dressed and holy hell-I think I put my makeup on in the dark!” late.

My girls, in these crazy mornings, have become my “lunch helpers” and put together their own lunches so I can chase my son around the house with him yelling, “I not get dressed!” It goes great until one wants honey with their peanut butter and the other wants jelly. That’s when the claws come out and I’m even later because I have to clean up the condiments on the floor before we go. They’d help but they are too busy pouting in the hallway because they got plain peanut better since mommy was over listening to them.

Don’t worry; this makes them blame me for ruining e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g instead of putting it on each other.

Win-win, right?

4 comments:

  1. I did not put those question marks there. Don't know where they came from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh the joy. I think fear is key. I never have total silence, except during 2 hours of quiet time. I'm not a working outside of home mom though, so this will make it harder for you.

    Is there 30 minutes after you get home, where everyone can go to their rooms and have silence? Every mommy needs at least 30 mins. I demand 2 hours but I'm a super mean mommy...haha.

    ReplyDelete